The President/Chief Executive Officer (Pres/CEO) provides both the strategic vision and overall leadership for the organization, always with a “mission first” focus. The Pres/CEO leads and manages fundraising, board development, program management, budget and fiscal oversight, human resources and marketing, guided by the mission and values of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin, Inc. (RMHC-EW). The Pres/CEO is responsible for implementing the mission and policies of the Board of Directors, assuring proper resources are in place to operate the House, maintaining a supportive environment for guest, volunteers and staff, and ensuring a positive image of the charity in the community. The Pres/CEO builds and ensures a culture which attracts a competent, diverse and empowered team.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Leadership Team, including Directors of Philanthropy, Marketing & Events, House Operations, Volunteer Services and Family Services, as well as Executive Assistant and Finance Manager
• Bachelor’s degree
• Executive leadership: extensive experience with managing teams, resources and processes with a demonstrated record of success in leading high-performing organizations
• Fundraising/development: success acquiring/stewarding significant, $1+M donor gifts
• Financial responsibility running an organization or large unit with an annual budget of $4+M
• Excellent communicator with the ability to engage, inspire and educate as a public speaker, in personal meetings and in written form
• Experience managing and growing a Board of Directors, collaborating on strategic vision and implementing an organizational strategic plan
• Community outreach: successful experience building and managing alliances and partnerships
• Experience with families in crisis or hospitality house-related programs a plus
• Belief in the mission of RMHC and willingness to be the organization’s biggest advocate and ambassador
Compassion, Inter-personal/team effectiveness, Driven, Results-oriented, Sensitivity, High integrity and honesty, Problem solver, Tact, Good judgment, Adaptability, Inspirational/motivational, Self-starter, Powerful communicator, Administrative/organizational excellence, Action-oriented, Deadline driven, Risk taking, Decision making, Flexible, People development, Computer competency, Culture champion.
People and Productivity
• Uses the strategic plan to create an annual operating plan with input of staff and clearly articulates annual goals.
• Hires, leads, trains and motivates staff to reach goals through teamwork, individual action and evaluation of results within a supportive and productive work environment based on mutual respect, open communication, and a common purpose.
• Works to ensure that all policies and procedures are well-documented, legally sound and evaluated on a regular basis.
• Maintains a positive working relationship with Children’s Wisconsin and Rogers Behavioral Health to assure on-going coordination and support of RMHC-EW’s programs and services. Works to assure that RMHC-EW grows and increases capacity according to the need/demand from partner hospitals.
• Maintains a strong relationship with the Global office of RMHC to ensure compliance with standards, fundraising, recognition and other opportunities that could benefit the organization. Collaborates with network of RMHC peers to share best practices.
• Serves as RMHC-EW’s lead spokesperson and advocate.
Finance, Programs and Operations
• Evaluates all aspects of the organization’s operations, programs and personnel on a regular basis and makes changes as necessary.
• Sets clear operational goals and standards to ensure the needs of families are being met and that RMHC-EW’s facilities are maintained at the highest levels within budget limitations. Works closely with the Director of House Operations to ensure that proper maintenance and compliance testing is met.
• Works closely with Finance Manager to stays current on all financial, reporting and accounting issues that affect the budget, audit, IRS 990 and reporting to funding sources, including approval of invoices and payroll.
• Possesses a thorough understanding of all aspects of the organization’s financial condition, budget and investments, working with the Finance Committee Chair to ensure Finance committee meetings are run efficiently with both tactical and strategic discussions.
• Works with staff to create, revise and maintain programs/operations that support families and engage/inspire donors.
• Supervises the Director of Philanthropy to ensure that the organization is operating a creative, successful, well-organized and diversified fundraising and stewardship program, including but not limited to annual, major/planned giving, events, and grants from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Works in collaboration with the Director of Philanthropy to identify, cultivate and solicit large gifts and to develop strategies to earn greater involvement from existing donors.
• Builds and nurtures relationship with McDonald’s and local McDonald’s Owner/Operators toward a productive, dynamic and mutually beneficial partnership.
Communications, Marketing and Outreach
• Collaborates with Director of Events & Marketing to develop a communications and marketing strategy that is clear, measurable and uses the latest technologies the organization can afford to fundraise, keep stakeholders informed, promote the organization and educate the general public.
• Seeks opportunities to address audiences to educate them about RMHC-EW, encourage contributions and advocate on behalf of the organization.
• Serves as the key staff member managing the work of the Board of Directors, including strategic planning, membership, meeting agendas, retreats and other work.
• Cultivates a strong relationship with each board member to ascertain and maximize each person’s skill set for the benefit of RMHC-EW and to assist in developing skills necessary for effective Board participation.
• Assists Board leadership in developing a culture of significant personal giving and the importance of Board involvement in fundraising success.
• Prepares reports for the Board that are relevant, clear and informative.
• Staffs Board committees in collaboration with the appropriate staff members.
• Keeps the Board informed of legal or accounting issues requiring Board action and on issues related to RMHC-EW programs, operations personnel or funders.
• Provides creative leadership and direction to staff and advice to the Board to further develop and implement the overall vision, structure and direction as a national leader in serving children and families.
• Directs all administrative management aspects of RMHC-EW to develop and maintain an effective organization with respect to structure, personnel, business operations, regulatory affairs, risk management and physical environment. Continue to build an organizational culture characterized by commitment to quality, service, outcomes and commitment to core values and EDI.
• Manages the organization in a fiscally responsible manner within the Board approved budget; to ensure that policies and systems that support financial control and effectiveness are in place and fully functioning.
• Serves as a mentor and provide professional development opportunities to staff.
• Enhances business systems and processes to assure optimal professionalism throughout all aspects of the organization.
• Pursues opportunities for professional development.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Interested applicants please send cover letter and resume to Sharon Mank at firstname.lastname@example.org.